Friday, February 4th. Digital Milk, The Brick & Czar Bar, The Crossroads.

Leslie K.



I knew there was something special about Leslie's coat, which definitely stood out amongst the, ever popular theme, "sea of black" that was going on at the Digital Milk Fresh Artistic showcase. The coat is a vintage piece from a tiny, but extremely interesting vintage shop in Roland Park called Halcyon Diversified Trading. Leslie gave me a brief description of their inventory, which includes everything from clothes and accessories, to antiques and Star Wars figurines (I know some people who are always on the look out for some good Star Wars swag).

Her styling of the coat really made the saturated colors and velvety texture pop. All of her accessories were acquired, second-hand, from diverse sources and come together to create a very potent haute hippie look. I also learned of a new way to get new accessories- the middle-of-the-night, at-the-bar, accessories swap! You just need a stylish and adventurous friend who will switch purses with you, and voila- you've got a nifty new bag. Try it some time!

Bag, accessory switch.


Rings, Grandma's opal (left) and Great Aunt Kay's turquoise (right).

Boots, etsy via Brooklyn.

Amy G.




I really don't want to transform my blog into the longest Forever 21 advertisement ever... but people wear the clothes without my encouragement and they look great! I spotted this dress after I spotted her pink and purple highlights. It has great details and looks like a higher quality that I would expect from F21.

The square lace panel in the front surrounded by the sheer bodice and tank straps is a really sexy peek-a-boo effect (especially in person) and the completely sheer back is great for a cocktail party. It draws attention without being flashy, and it's young and fun!

Dress, Forever 21

some designer goods via Payless



I love when designers pair up with large retailers like Payless and Target so I can actually afford cute, well designed merchandise. Amy scored these peep-toe, spectator pumps at Payless. The shoe's classic style contrasted with her avant-garde hair, and the entire outfit had an edgy, neo-film noir vibe.




Posh Plumes by Kristine King-Thrall
 I am a big fan of hair things; head bands, hair clips, and feathered hair pieces. Here are some lovely locally made hair pieces I spied around the Digital Milk party. Nothing pulls together an outfit (that consist of a tiny, form fitting, brightly colored swatch of chiffon or satin...) like a coordinating plume!

both hairpieces, Posh Plumes


Digital Milk's chalk board wall
It's hard for me to see a surface that invites tags and not participate. So I added a shameless Saturday Night Style plug and the logo for my clothing brand ,Cardinal, a modern version of the Claddagh, with two hearts and a crown.

SNS plug, and the Cardinal tag.


Me and my home girl, Chauncy
I made my top and skirt. The top is a one-off of a knock off Alexander McQueen piece I made for a stylist friend. The skirt is from the Cardinal S/S 2010 couture collection. I felt like a clown (in a good way) with all of the patterns and my bright blue pumps.



Halliday
I stopped by The Brick to check out the local designer truck show and to enter the raffle to win a free year of Birdie's panty of the month club. There were lots of neat, nifty gifts and such. But by far, the most interesting art happening at The Brick that night was the trunk show from Take a Halliday. Her pieces are what would happen if Coco Chanel lived in 2011 KC and was down with the punx. I am considering adding this tweed jacket with the sequin shoulder pads and chains to my wardrobe for the end of winter into spring!! I think it would look cool paired with a sleek, drapey grey jersey dress and black over-the-knee boots...

Tweed & Pearl Jacket, Take A Halliday.


 I ended my night at Czar Bar in, what I refer to as, "reverse Cinderella" style. All night I go to fancy, glam art parties and then I come to Czar Bar and its back to being gully in the streets of KC. That place feels like a home base for my weekends downtown; there's always a friendly face, I know I'll like the music, and it's okay if I take my shoes off (at my own risk, of course. It is just sooo hard to dance in 5 inch heels).



 Kendra's tights, Forever 21.
Sike Style was in the building. I'm pretty excited that Sike is now one of the resident YEEEAH BUDDY DJs. It is increasing the number of opprotunities I have to add to my Sike Style tee/button collection!

Sike's intern Kendra was working it pretty hard. Listen ladies, if you are over 5' 6", go ahead and wear a mini skirt and some really cool tights. You have legs for days, and you might as well show them off! They make a great canvas for webby, graphic tights. Winter is a tough fashion season for me, so I like to take some sexiness and fun where ever I can get it- i.e. cool tights.




Andrea B.
Andrea, my fave bartender at Czar Bar, must have been a beauty queen in a past life. This pose came to her fairly naturally, and I just wanted to get the cool zipper leather gloves in the shot.



Who needs a coat when you got Coogi?
No really, who needs a coat when you have a crispy Coogi tee? This guy is a nice ambassador of the crowd I usually catch at Czar Bar after midnight... Hip-hop heads. 

Comments